Journey To Self-Love
Self-love is defined as a regard for one's own well-being and happiness. Self-love is loving, I mean really loving, yourself completely...your body, your thoughts, your interests, your desires, your goals, and your beliefs. We are born one of a kind. We own unique life experiences. We create relationships with other people that no one else has. These things shape us into the amazing beings we are.
Self-love is how we teach others how to love us. Do you value your ideas? Do you pursue your dreams? Do you talk to yourself positively? When we actively love ourselves, we create healthy relationships and boundaries. We pursue goals that may seem unattainable and relish in our own pride for ourselves. Self-love makes it possible for us to act on interests we have like learning a new language, creating a new food dish, or traveling somewhere new. Self-love increases our pride, our self-esteem, and our
confidence in ourselves. How exactly does one practice self-love?
1. Tell your story. Tell the good, the bad, the beautiful, and the ugly. By sharing your triumphs and struggles, you are working towards healing, allowing yourself to work on the best version of yourself.
2. Be vulnerable. Vulnerability is courageous and shows authenticity.
3. Speak love to yourself. It feels great to get compliments from others, why not give them to yourself? Be kind with your internal dialogue.
4. Be grateful. Write down 5-10 things each day that you are grateful for. It is life changing.
5. Be authentic. This is a tough one because it takes practice. Be present and practice mindfulness.
6. Embrace imperfection. Humans are imperfect. Let go of unrealistic expectations you put on yourself.
No matter where you are at in your journey to self-love, remember, you are not a selfish person for taking care of yourself, you are a happier one.
“The Gifts of Imperfection” by Brene Brown
“Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead” by Brene Brown
“Untamed” by Glennon Doyle